Record Details

NHER Number:23741
Type of record:Building
Name:The Limes, The Street

Summary

A late 18th century brick house, with later alterations, built around the core of an earlier house.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 2059 3223
Map Sheet:TG23SW
Parish:ERPINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

April 1987. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
House. Late 18th century with earlier core. Flemish bond brick; pantile roof. Rectangular on plan. Front of 2 storeys, 5 bays. Central doorcase, probably 19th century with pediment on consoles; door has lower panels, top glazed, with glazing bars. Late 18th century sash windows with glazing bars put back c1980; rubbed and gauged flat brick arches. Gable end stacks, renewed. Right hand gable has flint plinth with English bond brickwork above; two blocked openings with hood moulds to attic. Left hand gable rendered and scored. 19th century outshut to rear of no special interest.
Interior. Two ground floor rooms have spine beams with ovolo moulding. Stair beside. Left hand stack has blocked opening with brick mullion at first floor level. Roof has staggered purlins.
Information from (S1).
E. Rose (NAU) 8 June 1987.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 456.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1172290.
<S2>Correspondence: Cox, G.. 2008. Correspondence regarding listed building consent for alterations to the lounge at The Limes. 3 March 2008.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service