|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Worked flints, Iron Age to medieval pottery sherds|
Fieldwalking in 1987 noted a couple of prehistoric flints, Iron Age, Roman and Saxon pottery fragments and two scatters of medieval pottery fragments.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6553 1156|
|Parish:||WORMEGAY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
30 March 1987. Field east of Holly House. Fenland fieldwalking, weathered soil.
Context 1 general scatter of odd medieval sherds and couple of flints.
WGY BK. Also one Iron Age sherd.
Context 2 at 6562 1164 on line of ?Roman causeway NHER 3463, scatter of medieval sherds and one Middle Saxon. Not a real concentration. Could be redeposited in make-up material for causeway. WGY BJ.
R. Silvester (NAU), 3 April 1987.
Some of the material from contexts 1 and 2 has been reidentified as Roman pottery
For full details of wares, flint types etc see Fenland Folders
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- CAUSEWAY (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. WGY BJ. FENS. |
|---||Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. WGY BK. FENS. |
Related records - none
Find out more...