Record Details

NHER Number:2363
Type of record:Monument
Name:Roman building remains and finds

Summary

A number of Roman finds were recovered from Hall Farm in the 1940s and 50s. These include a rotary quern, coins, a cauldron fragment and pieces of pottery including some from a Castor Ware beaker as well as grey-buff Ware. Building foundations were also reported at this location, which may indicate that some sort of Roman structure stood here.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 8920 2609
Map Sheet:TF82NE
Parish:RAYNHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

1948. Found on Hall Farm, for site see (S1).
Upper stone rotary quern of conglomerate, probably Roman. (East Anglian Type see (S2) - B. Green (NCM).
Two coins (one of Tetricus). Other Vespasian - B. Green (NCM).
Two fragments pottery including Castor Ware beaker with scenes in barbotine ? 1st century AD date.
R. R. Clarke (NCM).

Donor reported foundations. Site visited by R. R. Clarke (NCM) 1949, inequalities noted in crop.
R. R. Clarke (NCM).

1958. West side of Brick Kiln Plantation.
Fragment of patch from bronze cauldron; Roman pottery (OS 131).
Pottery identified as grey-buff ware.
R. R. Clarke (NCM).

Monument Types

  • BUILDING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • QUERN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • VESSEL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Raynham [2].
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map..
<S2>Article in serial: Kenyon, K.. 1950. Excavations at Breedon on the Hill, 1946. Transactions of the Leicestershire Archaeological and Historical Society. Vol XXVI.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service