Record Details

NHER Number:234
Type of record:Monument
Name:Carmelite priory and medieval buildings

Summary

The Carmelite (Whitefriars) priory is known to have stood in this area. Investigations in 1973 discovered some late 14th century building foundations, as well as some carved stone and stained glass. Further work in 1992 recovered post holes, floors, hearths and timber-framed buildings dating to the 13th and 14th centuries, as well as a wall which may have formed part of the precinct wall of Normans Hospital. To the east the wall of the friary was also noted, and a small number of finds including leatherworking debris were also recovered.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 23400 09319
Map Sheet:TG20NW
Parish:NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK

Full description

119 - 121 Cowgate.

1973. Investigation of area for loading bay to attempt to locate buildings of Carmelite priory.
Late foundations only were found, late 14th century - post medieval pottery.
Two pieces stained glass (S5)-(S6), one piece carved stone. [1]
J. Roberts and W. Milligan (NCM).
Further details in file NCM.

1974. Demolition of cottages and excavation of shallow trenches associated with the construction of new loading bay for Jarrold and Son Ltd.
Medieval and post medieval pottery.
J. Roberts and W. Milligan (NCM).

September-October 1992. Excavation.
Excavation of single trench prior to installation of underground chemical tank.
Site of 13th- and 14th-century reclamation.
Medieval and post-medieval alignment of Cowgate.
Medieval wall (possibly precinct wall of Normans Hospital). Post holes, floors, hearths, timber framed buildings.
To east, wall of friary.
Finds included:
Roman spindle whorl.
Medieval wool comb.
Elizabethan weight with city's coat of arms.
Medieval sherds, lava quern, leatherworking debris etc.
See published article (S1) for further details. The results of this work are also summarised in (S2). See also finds list (S3) and newspaper article (S4).
P. Emery (NAU), September 1992. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 19 October 2015.

Monument Types

  • FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FLOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FRIARY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HEARTH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOSPITAL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ROAD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WALL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • ROAD (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • QUERN (Undated)
  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • SPINDLE WHORL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BIRD REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • COMB (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FISH REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MANUFACTURING DEBRIS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • NAIL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • STAINED GLASS (WINDOW) (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WEIGHT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Jennings, S. 1981. Eighteen Centuries of Pottery from Norwich. East Anglian Archaeology. No 13.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 NW 96 [3].
---Record Card: NCM Staff. 1973-1989. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card - Norwich.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Fiche: Exists.
<S1>Article in Serial: Emery, P. 1999. Excavations at the Jarrold's Printing Works, Whitefriars, Norwich, 1992. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIII Pt II pp 275-286.
<S2>Article in Serial: Gurney, D. (ed.). 1993. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 1992. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLI Pt IV pp 522-532. p 529.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 1992. Jarrolds Printing Works Excavation - Finds Appendix.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1992. Old-time secrets found in the yard. 10 October.
<S5>Illustration: Milligan, W. 1973. Annotated photocopy of stained glass fragment. Paper. 1:1.
<S6>Illustration: Milligan, W. 1973. Annotated photocopy of stained glass fragment. Paper. 1:1.

Related records

430Part of: Precinct of Whitefriars (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service