|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Prehistoric flint, medieval and post medieval finds|
A small number of medieval pottery sherds and a couple of worked prehistoric flints were recovered by the Fenland Survey. Metal detecting in 2009 recovered medieval and post medieval finds, including medieval coins.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 63 12|
|Parish:||TOTTENHILL, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
6 January 1987. Fenland fieldwalking.
Well weathered soil, young cereal. Large field east of Tottenhill Row.
Odd medieval sherds all from mineral soil zone (not completed). TTH AD (S1).
Finds in NCM.
R. Silvester (NAU), 6 January 1987.
9 March 1987. South half of field finished. All sandy soil above fen level. All weathered plough soil.
Couple of flints and some medieval pottery with increasing quantity as one gets closer to Tottenhill Row.
Details as above.
R. Silvester (NAU), 9 March 1987.
For full details of wares, flint types etc. see Fenland Folders (S2).
Before 15 May 2009. Metal detecting.
Medieval coin, buckles, strap loop and post medieval purse bar.
See list in file
E. Darch, (NLA), 9 September 2009.
Before November 2009. Metal-detecting.
Short-cross penny. Identification provided by the finder, coin not seen by NHES.
A. Rogerson (HES), 08 November 2010.
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PURSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Photograph: I & RS. Digital finds image. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||*Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. TTH AD. FENS. |
|<S2>||Archive: Fenland Folders. |
Related records - none
Find out more...