|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Ingledene, 47 Freeman Street|
A two storey flint and brick house with a pantile roof, dating to the late 18th or early 19th century. In fact on closer inspection, the building seems have, at least partly, much earlier origins. The rear range is a possibly mid 15th century timber framed building, with a chimney stack added in about 1600, and other alterations of about 1800. The front range is a heightening and refacing of an older building. The complex originally formed a courtyard, but the south and west ranges were demolished in the 1950s, leaving an L-shaped plan.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9143 4380|
|Parish:||WELLS NEXT THE SEA, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Rear range in Black Horse Yard a remarkable ?jettied timber framed building with unusual wallposts, mid 15th century? Part demolished.
Later stack inserted about 1600, other alterations about 1800 and later including complete oars and other possible genuine ships' timbers. Front range a heightening and refacing in about 1800 of older building. Cottage formerly attached to south end rear range, and south and west ranges forming courtyard plan, all demolished without record in 1950s.
Listing grade II (S1). See report (S2), photographs (S3) and correspondence (S4) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 17 December 1986.
- HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling Record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NAU). 1986. Building Report.. |
|<S3>||Photograph: EAS 13-21. |
|<S4>||Correspondence: Rose, E. (NLA). 2002. Letter to Mrs. Nudds. 28 February. |
Related records - none
Find out more...