|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||World War Two radio station|
A World War Two octagonal building that has been identified as a direction-finding post for locating distress calls from aircraft.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 069 388|
|Parish:||LETHERINGSETT WITH GLANDFORD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
On track to sewage works (grid reference may not be entirely accurate).
Octagonal building with octagonal roof forming a truncated cone with platform on top. Diamond shaped windows of armoured glass, strong double doors. Walls of wooden panels, formerly filled with sand. Stated locally to be pillbox or Royal Observer Corps post, but probably neither; possibly a beacon for Langham airfield?
Information from .
E. Rose (NAU), 3 December 1986.
Identified as VHFDF post for locating distress calls from aircraft; one of several in Norfolk.
Information from Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum.
E. Rose (NAU), 30 January 1987.
Original report and sketch in file.
E. Rose (NLA).
- RADAR BEACON (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- RADIO STATION (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Correspondence: Fairhead, H.. 1986. Letters. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
Related records - none
Find out more...