|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Mary the Virgin's Church, Setchey|
St Mary's Church was constructed in 1844 for Daniel Gurney, of red brick and coursed carrstone with a slate roof. It was apparently not licensed by the Church of England until 1870. It has lancet windows in the three bay nave and three lancets grouped together in the east window of the small chancel. Today the church is a private residence.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6358 1365|
|Parish:||WEST WINCH, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Erected 1844, but not licensed until 1870 according to Bryant.
A church is recorded in this parish in 1528 and 1586, but it is not certain it is on the same site.
Council for care of churches note: Built for Daniel Gurney, architect not known. Very simple of carrstone, brick and slate. Lancet windows, three bay nave with buttresses and window to each bay; taller corner buttresses; bellcote, west door with three blocked or false lancets above; low chancel with east window only (three lancets), plain chancel arch. No furnishings or stained glass. Registers from 1870, one bell, chalice and paten are EPNS. Bad condition.
E. Rose (NAU), 9 August 1982.
Above description confirmed with addition of; small shed-like but original west projection beside west door. Chancel is miniscule. Good iron gates to road. Gravedigger claims pulpit and two organs remain inside, but interior inaccessible. Planning application November 1986 for conversion to house involving new window in nave east gable, and dormers to inserted upper floor. Poor condition; gables falling.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU), 27 November 1986.
Architects plans (S1) in file.
Appropriate section from (S2) in file.
Planning permission never implemented.
Gates stolen before 2002.
Part of churchyard remains under ecclesiastical control.
E. Rose (NLA), 2 September 2002.
- CHURCH (19th Century to 21st Century - 1844 AD? to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 638. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1994-1995. [Articles on the work undertaken at the graveyard at St Mary the Virgin's Church, Setchey]. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1993. New use for old church?. 30 March. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1999-2000. [Articles on the potential change of use of St Mary the Virgin's Church, Setchey]. |
|---||Website: Knott, S.. 2005. St Mary, Setchey. http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/setchey/setchey.htm. 24 November 2006. |
|<S1>||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 211; p 54. |
Related records - none
Find out more...