|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Tottenhill post mill|
This is the site of a postmill which was built in 1760 and ceased working in 1929. It is recorded that in 1919 the mill was struck by lightning, and following this the mill was worked by a diesel engine. The mill had a roundhouse made of carstone, but in 1961 the whole structure was dismantled.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6374 1093|
|Parish:||TOTTENHILL, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Old windmill (marked on Ordnance Survey map).
Unit aerial photographs show this to be a post mill; only the supports remain, exposed (no roundhouse) with circular depressed area for turning posts.
D. Edwards (NAU), 28 May 1980.
Marked on 1836 1st edition 1 inch Ordnance Survey map (S1). It was built 1760 and ceased working March 1929. Dismantled 1961. There was a roundhouse once, made of carstone.
E. Rose (NAU), 24 March 1982.
Copy of photo (S2) in file.
(S3) in file states that in fact the mill was struck by lightning in 1919 and thereafter worked by diesel.
E. Rose (NLA), 4 February 1999.
- POST MILL (18th Century to Early 20th Century - 1760 AD to 1929 AD)
- WINDMILL (18th Century to Early 20th Century - 1760 AD to 1929 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 61 SW 14 . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Photograph: 1938. Photograph of Tottenhill post mill, Tottenhill. Black & white. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch.. |
|<S2>||Aerial Photograph: TF6310J-N. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1999. [Article on the Tottenhill Mill with a photograph of the Dray and Horses and the mill]. 2 February. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1994. Historic former mill house is full of potential (Sale Advertisement). 3 July. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1991. [Photograph of the Old Mill House with its mill]. 12 February. |
Related records - none
Find out more...