Record Details

NHER Number:22805
Type of record:Building
Name:Bull Cottage and the Alehouse, formerly listed as The Bull Inn, Main Road

Summary

This former inn has been converted to three private dwellings. It dates to the 17th century, and was constructed from Carstone with brick dressings with a steep slate roof.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 6363 1372
Map Sheet:TF61SW
Parish:WEST WINCH, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

17th century inn (with one block reused stone) now three houses. Retains original windows, stairs in part, etc. Altereed in 18th and 19th centuries. Brick ?cesspit excavated.
See report (S1) in file.
Visited and compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 1 August 1986.

October 1951. Listed, Grade II.
Bull Cottage and the Alehouse, formerly listed as The Bull Inn, Main Road.
Former inn, now three dwellings. 17th century. Carstone with brick dressings, steep slate roof. E plan open to west. Two storeys and attic. Facade to east to road: irregular two bays to centre of two storeys, gabled cross wings to left and right each of two storeys and attic; centre bays (Bull Cottage) with scattered fenestration, central doorway with canopy; cross wing to right (The Alehouse) with varied fenestration and re-opened blocked openings; cross wing to left with two flush sashes with glazing bars to ground floor, first floor with one blocked opening and one flush sash with glazing bars, attic with one blocked opening and one flush casement with glazing bars. Facade to south: uncoursed galletted carstone, slate roof, three bays two storeys, east end internal stack, axial stack to left. Ground floor with various openings, some blocked, large opening to right with brick hood mould and blocked with flint cobbles; first floor with double casement with glazing bars to left, blocked opening over doorway, sash with glazing bars to right. Facade to north (The Alehouse): two bays two storeys and attic. Large end internal stacks; remains of 17th century opening surrounds to first bay now sashes with glazing bars; central doorway; bay two with two-light casement with glazing bars to ground floor, sash with glazing bars to first floor. Interior of Alehouse: ogee stopped beams above large gable end fire places; re-roofed early 20th century.
Information from (S2).

Monument Types

  • CESS PIT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • INN (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD? to 2100 AD)
  • INN (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 638.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Photograph: CVX20-23.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1999. [Photographs of the Bull Pub, Setch]. 3 August.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1986. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077630.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service