|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Post medieval house and village green|
This site was once part of the medieval village green. During the 19th century cottages were built on the site, the remains of which were seen during construction work in 1985.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 8174 1510|
|Parish:||CASTLE ACRE, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Footings for new house observed; showed that Bailey Street had been worn or cut down below natural.
On site burnt layers covered just over a metre of 19th century building rubble etc resting directly on natural.
Suggests this was part of Stocks Green or Pales Green, an open area inside the north defences shown on old maps, before 19th century cottages were built on the site.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 25 October 1985.
Site corrected on ground by E. Rose (NAU) 20 July 1986 (formerly wrongly included in NHER 1129).
- VILLAGE GREEN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|43123||Part of: Castle Acre planned town (Monument)|