Record Details

NHER Number:2253
Type of record:Building
Name:St German's Church, Wiggenhall St Germans

Summary

The dedication of this church to St German, also known as St Germanus or St Germaine, is unique in Norfolk. There is thought to be some evidence of Norman origins, though the earliest surviving part is the base of the tower which may be as early as the 13th century. The present nave, chancel, north aisle and chapel are largely 14th century, though they received a remodelling in the 15th century. The now crumbling south porch is thought to date to around 1500, and there are traces of a three storey north vestry which has since been demolished. Inside a number of interesting bench ends survive, depicting the Seven Sins.

Images

  • St German's Church, Wiggenhall St Germans. Photograph from www.norfolkchurches.co.uk  © S. Knott

Location

Grid Reference:TF 5969 1401
Map Sheet:TF51SE
Parish:WIGGENHALL ST GERMANS, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Also known as St Germanus or St Germaine's.

Evidence of Norman origins. Base of tower early 13th century. Nave, chancel, north aisle and chapel basically 14th century, but total remodelling in 15th century, including south aisle and chapel, provides all visible work.
South porch about 1500. Traces of three storey north vestry now demolished.
Furnishings includes good tomb slabs.
Listing (S1).
See report (S2) and photos (S3) in file.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 March 1989.

This is one of the sixty five Norfolk churches selected for (S4).
D. Gurney (NLA), 17 February 2006.

March 2009.
Church awarded £118,000 for essential maintenance work
see (S5) in file
H. White (NLA), 4 March 2009

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval to 21st Century - 1066 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1902. Hundred of Freebridge Marshland. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol X. pp 114-121.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 777; Pl 49.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 383; Pl 32.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1993. £60 000 church scheme ends. 26 January.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1992. One church restored. 4 September.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077892.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1989. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S3>Photograph: EQJ 29-31.
<S4>Publication: Jenkins, S. 2000. England's Thousand Best Churches.
<S5>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2009. Historic churches awarded millions of pounds for essential maintenance work. 4 March.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service