|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Mary's Church, Islington|
St Mary's Church lies redundant and is largely ruined. A renovation in 1972 tidied up the space, and as a result the walls of all the main structures survive to this day. The church was originally cruciform in shape, the largest part of the building now remaining is the west tower which stands intact. The 13th century nave is now roofless, and the chancel is bricked off. The church is in the hands of the Churches Conservation Trust.
|Grid Reference:||TF 5707 1687|
|Parish:||TILNEY ST LAWRENCE, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Half ruined, tidied 1972. T. Martin around 1740 gives a very odd section drawing - looking as if it had both a west and a central tower.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU).
Listed grade II*.
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 20 May 1986.
Press cutting (S1) in file.
Appropriate section from (S2) in file.
22 July 1993. NLA aerial photography.
M. Brennand (NLA), 7 February 2001.
- CHURCH (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1900 AD?)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF5716 A-P,Q-S. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1993. TF 5716V - Y, AB, AC. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1993. Picture mystery solved (photograph of St Mary's Church). 23 April. |
|<S2>||Publication: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology, 51. Microfiche 5:G12. |
|MNO6817||Related to: Church of St. Mary Islington TILNEY ST LAWRENCE (Revoked)|
Find out more...