|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Post medieval finds and features, The Close|
A small trial hole was dug in the school garden on the east side of the Upper Close in 1971.
The foundations of outbuildings of the 18th and 19th century canonry houses were revealed. Post medieval pottery sherds were also recovered.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2343 0885|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
1971. Small trial hole in school garden on east side of Upper Close.
Foundations of outbuildings of 18th/19th century canonry houses found in court before Hostry Hall.
Post medieval pottery mainly coarse lead glazed wares.
Some medieval and Thetford Wares found, they were residual.
E.B. Green (NCM).
- PRIORY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|377||Part of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)|
|Mon 1459||Part of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)|
Find out more...