|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||St Helen's Church, Sutton Road, Cross Keys|
This house was constructed in 1881 as a church dedicated to St Helen, and converted to a private residence in 1989. It is a Gothic Revival structure in the 'Early English' style, constructed of red and white brick and an apse to the east and a bellcote to the west. It is thought that the church may stand on or near the site of a chapel of ease noted in 1608 and still standing in 1762.
|Grid Reference:||TF 5120 1987|
|Parish:||WALPOLE CROSS KEYS, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1881. Gothic Revival, 'Early English', red and white brick, with good brick moulded dentils, and ornamental ridge tiles. Apse to east; bellcote to west.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU), 28 February 1979.
E. Rose (NAU).
This is on or near the site of a chapel of ease noted in 1608 and still standing in 1762. For comparison see. (S1).
E. Rose (NAU).
Converted to house 1989. See (S2).
E. Rose (NAU), 26 April 1989.
Architects plans (S3) and press cutting in file.
- (Former Type) CHAPEL (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD? to 1608 AD?)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval to Cold War - 1881 AD to 1989 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1990. Pulpit a real talking point…. 13 November. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1994. Sale advertisement. 8 August. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1992. Unusual trio now on the market. 25 August. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1989. Happy as Barry in his church house. 14 April. |
|<S3>||Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
Related records - none
Find out more...