Record Details

NHER Number:2208
Type of record:Building
Name:Remnants of medieval stone cross

Summary

The top of a medieval stone cross once stood in the south aisle of the parish church. Sadly, it went missing by the 1930s. However, the simple limestone rectangular base, with the bottom foot or so of the shaft, still stands outside the priest's door.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 4772 1053
Map Sheet:TF41SE
Parish:WALSOKEN, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Stone cross, remains of (Ordnance Survey Antiquity).
Head formerly in church south aisle but missing by 1930s, originally recorded in Dawson-Turner's copy of Blomefield, according to (S1).
Simple limestone rectangular base, with bottom foot or so of shaft, outside priest's door.
E. Rose (NAU) 23 May 1988.

Scheduled 1998 - in file.

Monument Types

  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Scheduled Monument

Sources and further reading

---Archive: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 41 SE 7 [2].
---Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Walsoken.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Article in serial: Cozens-Hardy B. 1934. Norfolk Crosses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt II pp 297-336.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service