|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Undated building remains and multi-period finds|
The remains of a building were discovered during works in 1985. Prehistoric flints, Roman, Late Saxon and medieval pottery fragments, a medieval roof tile, and post medieval bricks, window glass and a button were found on the surface in 1992. Metal detecting in 2000 and 2001 recovered part of a medieval horse harness pendant and the rim of a medieval or early post medieval copper alloy cauldron.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 96 81|
|Parish:||RIDDLESWORTH, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
20 November 1985:
On surface after topsoil stripping in advance of trenching for Anglian Water pipeline.
Building remains; located in metres north of edge of present track.
5 to 35m: scattered patches of mortar. 45m: mortared flint footings; running southwest to northeast, about 40 cm wide, at least 1m long. 45 to 50m: spread of heavy chalk flecking; remains of floor? No dating evidence; corresponds well in position with apparently 19th century building further east.
A. Gregory (NAU), 20 November 1985.
June 1992. Surface finds.
Flint, Roman, Late Saxon, medieval sherds, medieval roof tile, fired clay, post medieval bricks, window glass, button, animal bone, potboilers.
See file for details.
D.A.Gurney (NLA) 9 June 1992.
Before 31 May 2000. Metal detecting.
Medieval, post medieval and undatable metal finds.
See lists in file.
Medieval; front half of suspension stud for a horse harness pendant.
Circular with intergral shank on reverse and gilded obverse decorated with five punched dots within incised circle. Tiny punched triangles surround the circle, each one with base inwards. 13th century.
Undatable; Lead weight, annular, diameter 27mm, thickness 6.5 mm, off-centre hole diameter 11mm, weighing 34.1g (perhaps a 1.25oz weight).
A. Rogerson (NLA), 17 April 2001.
2001. Metal detecting.
Medieval/early post medieval rim of cast copper alloy cauldron, sooted externally, diameter about 290mm.
Identified by A. Rogerson (NLA).
A. Rogerson (NLA), 12 March 2002.
- BUILDING (Unknown date)
- FLOOR (Unknown date)
- WALL (Unknown date)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- BRIQUETAGE (Undated)
- POT BOILER (Undated)
- WEIGHT (Unknown date)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- CAULDRON (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HARNESS PENDANT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ROOF TILE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BUTTON (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CAULDRON (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WINDOW GLASS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
Related records - none
Find out more...