|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Possible medieval trackway, possible post medieval building, medieval pottery concentrations|
Fieldwalking in 1985 by the Fenland Survey recovered medieval pottery sherds from across this field. Two concentrations of medieval pottery sherds were also noted, as well as bone and building rubble fragments, on the edge of a drove.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 5806 1359|
|Parish:||WIGGENHALL ST GERMANS, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
14 November 1985. Fieldwalking on well weathered ploughsoil..
Context 1: odd medieval sherds over field. WMV BF (S1).
Context 2 at 5820 1350: concentration of sparse to moderate medieval sherds, moderate shell, sparse bone, sparse building rubble on edge of drove. Less than 18m north to south x 35m east to west (south edge site obscured by beet
waste) at 1.5m OD. WMV 15 (S2).
Context 3 at 5833 1359: concentration sparse medieval pot, very sparse bone, sparse shell, abundant post medieval building rubble. On edge medieval drove. 25m east to west x less than 25m north to south. WMV 16 (S3).
Finds in NCM.
For full details of wares, flint types etc see Fenland Folders (S4).
R. J. Silvester (NAU), 16 November 1985.
- BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TRACKWAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOLLUSCA REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. WMV BF. FENS. WMV BF. |
|<S2>||Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. WMV 15. FENS. WMV 15. |
|<S3>||Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. WMV 16. FENS. WMV 16. |
Related records - none
Find out more...