|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of World War Two searchlight battery and Roman pottery|
This is the site of a World War Two searchlight battery and trench, visible on aerial photographs taken in 1946. Fragments of Roman pottery were found during fieldwalking in the 1980s.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6697 2189|
|Parish:||GRIMSTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
RAF air photograph shows searchlight battery of 3 circular structures in field of grassland, with zig zag trench to southeast.
B. Cushion (NLA) 15 April 1998.
1984 to 1985. Fieldwalking in potato field.
6 Roman greyware jar rims, 1 rouletted sherd, 1 base.
1 Roman large flagon rim.
1 mortarium pouring lip.
1 flanged bowl rim in colourcoated ware.
A. Rogerson (NAU) September 1985.
- SEARCHLIGHT BATTERY (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- TRENCH (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
Related records - none
Find out more...