|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Post medieval lime kiln|
In 1985 a post medieval lime was discovered when a mechanical digger clearing a pit here cut a hole in the tunnel roof. The kiln took the form of a circular bell, surrounded by circular barrel vaulted tunnel. Several red bricks had graffiti reading ‘1830’ along with ‘JB’ and ‘WJ’. The tunnel was crammed full of chimney pots, moulded bricks, land drains, voussoirs, bottles and ox bones, suggesting it was a Holkham Estate store and later a rubbish dump.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9438 3926|
|Parish:||WIGHTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Limekiln. Discovered when JCB clearing pit cut hole in tunnel roof.
Circular bell, surrounded by circular barrel vaulted tunnel. Bell still full of chalk apparently. Red brick with graffiti date 1830 plus 'JB' and perhaps 'WJ' below. Three lime chutes in bell base with chalk screes still below, and raking holes. Blocked doorway in tunnel wall to southwest. Some sort of door or hatch in northeast quadrant from which soil has spilled over floor; farm workers aged around seventy do not remember anything about this kiln but remember a supposed 'dry well' above this opening, suggesting it connected to a hoist shaft. Tunnel is crammed full of chimney
pots, moulded bricks, land drains, voussoirs, bottles and ox bones; suggesting it was a Holkham Estate store and later a rubbish dump.
B. Yates and Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society to see if any items worth salvaging.
Photographs (S1) in file.
Visit by E. Rose (NAU) 4 September 1985.
E. Rose (NAU) 4 September 1985.
See also (S3)
See also NIAS records (S4)
Kiln marked on Tithe map (S5)
W. Arnold (HES) 08/12/2010
This site is not noted in any directories. However the land is owned by Holkham Estate, and many sites on their land are not included in directories as they serve the estate, not the public.
NIAS records (S4)
W. Arnold (HES) 15/12/2010
- LIME KILN (19th Century - 1839 AD? to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BOTTLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Photograph: CTH 28-36. |
|<S2>||Fiche: Exists. |
|<S3>||Article in Serial: Tuck, D.W.. 1987. [unknown]. NIAS Journal. |
|<S4>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
|<S5>||Map: 1839. Tithe map. |
Related records - none
Find out more...