Record Details

NHER Number:21337
Type of record:Monument
Name:Concentrations of medieval material, Late Saxon and medieval pottery sherds

Summary

Fieldwalking in 1985 recovered a number of medieval pottery sherds from across this area, as well as noting two concentrations of material. These included medieval pottery sherds, shell and bone fragments, as well as three sherds of Late Saxon pottery.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 5192 1785
Map Sheet:TF51NW
Parish:WALPOLE CROSS KEYS, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

27 March 1985. Fieldwalking on well weathered ploughsoil.
Context 1: general scatter of medieval sherds. WPP FE (S1).
Context 2: at 5189 1760. Concentration sparse medieval sherds, falling off quickly to east. Abundant shell and small amount bone. Odd post medieval intrusion. On gentle north slope - ? edge of drove. 45m north to south x 34m east to west but could extend into next field. Plus two Stamford sherds. WPP 92 (S2)
Context 3: at 5203 1766. Concentration sparse medieval sherds, locally sparse to moderate, shell ditto, couple of bone fragments. On possible drove edge. Little post medieval rubbish 28m east to west x 29m north to south (WPP 93). One Late Saxon sherd. WPP FE (S3).
For full details of wares, flint types etc see Fenland Folders (S4).
Finds in NCM.
R. J. Silvester (NAU), 29 March 1985

Monument Types

  • TRACKWAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • ANIMAL REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOLLUSCA REMAINS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. WPP 93. FENS. WPP 93.
<S2>Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. WPP 92. FENS. WPP 92.
<S3>Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. WPP FE. FENS. WPP FE.
<S4>Archive: Fenland Folders.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service