Record Details

NHER Number:21314
Type of record:Building
Name:Saxlingham House, The Street


This early 16th century house is a timber-framed construction topped with a thatched roof. It was formerly the Bowling Green Public House but is now a residential property. It stands two storeys high and features off centre and gable end chimney stacks. The interior has undergone recent alterations but features an original inglenook fireplace and an arched door of possible medieval date.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 2290 9736
Map Sheet:TM29NW

Full description

Noted on list as 'formerly Nethergate End' but noted on (S1) as Bowling Green Public House, and this is confirmed by local people.
E. Rose (NAU) 1 May 1985.

(S2) does appear to write the name Nethegate End against this house but in 2005 this name is used for the small house immediately to the north.
E. Rose (NLA) 10 June 2005.

December 1983. Listed, Grade II.
Early 16th century with 17th century two-bay addition south of stack. Rendered timber frame, thatched roof. Two storeys and attic. One off centre stack and one later gable stack. Frame of heavy scantling with wide chamfers. Opposing former doorways to north end with arched jambs to west door. First floor formerly open to queenpost roof. One surviving truss with massive arch braced tie and braces from queenposts to collar.
Information from (S3).
E. Rose (NAU) 1 May 1985.

June 2005.
Interior of ground floor very briefly seen during thunderstorm. Present layout has room at south end with central bridging beam, chamferstopped but no other details visible; recent fireplace in offcentre stack to north. North of stack is entrance hall, fireplace here is inglenook type but with new interior, face of bressumer hacked off, bricks of 17th/18th century type; recent stairs to west. North of entrance hall is room with corridor divided off by recent partition along west side. Roughly central to this cell is bridging beam of great size with abrupt stops, resting on Y-shaped 'basreliefs' from posts that stand on sillbeams. Ceiling of large flat joists. West wall of house has hatch covered on former exterior (now inside extension) by old boards, and at north end the 'arched' door mentioned in (S3) is formed of two cruck-shaped timbers pegged to a flat midwall rail that slopes down to the north and has no connection with present ceiling. Present writer could see no trace of the opposing door to east noted in (S3) though there are two blocked windows, and door would be in the wrong place for a cross passage - near to east gable wall. Cellar beneath this room seems to be of recent date. A detailed inspection is really required but the 'arched door' appears medieval; could this be one service door of a former hall on the site of the present northwest wing of recent date, the north end of the present house having been a crosswing?
(S4) in file.
E. Rose (NLA) 5 July 2005.

Monument Types

  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • INN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 630.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey, First Edition, 6 Inch. 1879-1886. Ordnance Survey 1st Edition 6 inch map..
<S2>Map: 1953-1959. Ordnance Survey Provisional Edition.
<S3>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1373085.
<S4>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service