|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of the palace of the Archdeacons of Norfolk|
This is thought to be the site of the palace of the Archdeacons of Norfolk, who took possession of the church in 1267 and who moved their country seat here during the reign of Edward III. A portion of a moat enclosing both the rectory and the church still remained around the end of the 19th century, and it is recorded that some low flint walls were still visible on this site in the 1950s.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 0619 0625|
|Parish:||RUNHALL, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Site of bishop's palace. 
Source (S1) records rectory was built on site of palace of Archdeacons of Norfolk, who took possession of the church in
1267 and who moved their country seat here in the time of Edward III. A portion of a moat enclosing both rectory and church still remained in around 1900.
E. Rose (NAU), 18 March 1985
7 April 1994. Owner reports many flint wall foundations found over the last around 40 years around present house. Some walls were above ground in 1950s.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 8 April 1994.
Source (S2) states under Colton church '(it) stands near the ruin of some large building - query what has been?'. This is thought to refer to this building.
E. Rose (NLA), 2 July 1999.
- BUILDING (Unknown date)
- BISHOPS PALACE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Serial: Bryant, T. H.. 1898-1915. The Churches of Norfolk.. Vols 1-19.. |
|<S2>||Publication: Martin, T.. c.1740. Church Notes. |
Related records - none
Find out more...