|Type of record:||Find Spot|
Metal detecting in 1984 recovered prehistoric worked flints, a Neolithic flaked flint axehead, a medieval brooch or buckle and a medieval to post medieval decorated horse harness pendant.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 70 00|
|Parish:||STOKE FERRY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1984. Intensive metal detecting survey before stripping for bypass. See plan in file for contexts.
Context 1, area 6. Bronze annular brooch or buckle, see (S1) plate LXXVII number 2 (Medieval).
Context 2, area 8. Bronze looped ?horse pendant, punched decoration. Late medieval/ post medieval.
Context 3, area 10. Neolithic axe in flecked flint.
Context 4, area 11. Four worked flints.
Survey continued east of site as far as road crossing but nothing else found.
A. Rogerson (NAU), January 1985
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 1000000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Lower Palaeolithic to Late Iron Age - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FLAKED AXEHEAD (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- BROOCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HARNESS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HARNESS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Photograph: EDM14-15. |
|<S1>||Publication: 1940. London Museum Medieval Catalogue. pl.XXIX.18. |
Related records - none
Find out more...