|Type of record:||Building|
An 18th century rebuilding of the medieval Corn Hall. It is two storeys high with quoins at the angles. Its use as a magistrates' court until the 1970s is clear from the first floor courtroom under a barrel-vaulted ceiling.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 078 387|
|Parish:||HOLT, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
(S1) notes as 18th century rebuilding of medieval corn market and toll house.
On ground floor a chamfered timber post with carved stops on stone base supports large chamfered beam. Now visible through glass panel from building society offices; another post replaced by RSJ (information from ).
 and (S1) believe 'cross base' site NHER 13387 is really base from this removed post.
Courtroom on first floor has barrel vaulted segmental ceiling classical building with rendered brick walls with quoins, two storeys east front has round arched first floor sash with rusticated surround and two ground floor sashes; two string courses; additional bay on north with round arched rusticated doorway with semi-circular fanlight over flat hood on shaped brackets. South façade has four bays two storeys, five modern windows replace left hand ground window.
E. Rose (NAU), 3 December 1984.
- CORN EXCHANGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- TOLL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CORN EXCHANGE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1700 AD to 2050 AD)
- TOLL HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1700 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
Related records - none
Find out more...