Record Details

NHER Number:20928
Type of record:Find Spot
Name:Viking brooch and Roman vessel

Summary

Fieldwalking and metal detecting at this location recovered prehistoric flints, medieval and post medieval pottery sherds, a Roman vessel in the form of a lion and a beautiful imported Viking openwork brooch with animal head and rosette decorations.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 19 96
Map Sheet:TM19NE
Parish:TASBURGH, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

1984. Fieldwalking.
Worked flint, unglazed medieval body sherds and Westerwald stoneware sherd.
Held by NCM, formerly by member of the public [1].
W. F. Milligan (NCM) 23 October 1984

January/February 1994. Metal detecting.
Lovely bronze 9th century openwork lozengiform imported Viking brooch with animal head at each corner and a rosette in centre and a pair of lines on each 'arm'. Pierced lug on reverse. Unusual type. Catchplate missing.
Identified by S. Margson (NCM).
A. Rogerson (NLA) 18 April 1994.

Before 28 March 2003. Metal detecting.
Roman vessel in the form of a lion.
See description in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA) 28 April 2003.

Monument Types

  • FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Middle Saxon to Late Saxon - 651 AD to 1065 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
  • VESSEL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • BROOCH (Middle Saxon to Late Saxon - 651 AD to 1065 AD)
  • POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Illustration: Finds Illustration.
---Photograph: NLA. Finds Photograph.
---Photograph: 2003. KTR 23-30, Romano British vessel mount..
---Secondary File: Secondary file.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2018 Norfolk Historic Environment Service