|Type of record:||Building|
This building has a timber frame and thatched roof, with an internal south chimneystack. It was built in three stages, with the oldest part being an open medieval hall with a smoke bay, before an upper floor and chimneystack were subsequently inserted in around 1600. Further alterations were made from the 18th century onwards, and the most recent of these were to help restore the building after fire damage.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 2010 9666|
|Parish:||TASBURGH, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Listed Grade II 1981 as 17th-18th century timber frame, thatched, two storeys, internal south chimneystack. However report by A. Carter 1983 after brief visit (S1) says of three builds. Oldest was open hall with smoke bay; later inserted upper floor of around 1600 with possibly reused medieval beams. Chimneystack replaced smoke bay. Queenpost roof with posts braced to purlins.
See details in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 25 July 1986.
1983. Norwich Survey.
17th century building with 18th century alterations. Further alteration in 19th and 20th centuries following a serious fire.
T. E. Miller (NLA) 14 December 2005.
1984. In garden.
Medieval and late medieval/transitional sherds.
Held by NCM, formerly by member of the public .
W. Milligan (NCM) 31 May 1984.
1995. From garden.
Two medieval sherds (one decorated pancheon rim).
W. Milligan (NCM) 24 March 1995.
- HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1600 AD to 2050 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Carter, A.. Building Survey. |
Related records - none
Find out more...