|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Church Farmhouse, The Street|
A 17th century two storey thatched rendered timber framed farmhouse with a five window bay brick skin added to form a polite late 18th century façade. It has a central chimney stack with four angled shafts. The original winding staircase remains to the rear of the stack, which has an 18th century passageway running right through it. There is a good staircase of about 1730 with turned balusters and a moulded handrail.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9221 1969|
|Parish:||MILEHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
17th century with important 18th century additions.
Timber frame faced in brick to front, thatched.
Two storeys and attics, originally lobby-entrance.
Late 18th century five bay façade.
Central axial stack with four interconnecting angled shafts with moulded brick decoration.
Southernmost bay and gable end probably early 18th century, English bond brickwork. Original winding stair by stack.
18th century barrel vaulted passage through stack.
Very fine early 18th century well stair in south bay.
Original beams stopped.
Information from (S1). Press cuttings (S2) and (S3) in file.
E. Rose (NAU) 15 March 1984.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1995. TF9119/AES - AEX. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: 1998. Eastern Daily Press. 13 March. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1998. Lynn News. 13 March. |
Related records - none
Find out more...