|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Peter's Church, Dunton|
A medieval parish church, which is now in the care of the Norfolk Churches Trust after being declared redundant in 1978. The church dates mainly to the 13th and 15th centuries, and contains an unusual wooden rood loft and screen, constructed in 1910.
|Grid Reference:||TF 8794 3031|
|Parish:||DUNTON, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Tower repaired 1986.
E. Rose (NAU)
There has been some confusion between this church and Doughton church, see NHER 14898.
In the farmyard of Church Farm to the south is part of a stone mullion, perhaps from a bell opening. See NHER 31604.
E. Rose (NLA) 17 November 1995.
19 July 1996. NLA air photography.
S. Massey (NLA), 27 April 2001.
Late 13th or early 14th century chancel and nave, 15th century west tower.
The nave was re-roofed in 1854.
Interesting Victorian stained glass, and a wooden rood loft, dated 1910, with carved figures and a screen.
The church was declared redundant in 1978, and leased to the Norfolk Churches Trust.
See (S2) and (S3).
S. Spooner (NLA) 31 October 2005
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF8730A-H, J,. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TF8130/Q, S - W. |
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1900. Hundred of Gallow. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol VI. pp 33-37. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 314-315. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1986. Tower of strength again. 20 October. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 11; p 50. |
|<S3>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1171893. |
Related records - none
Find out more...