|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Part of Ber Street Gate, post medieval pottery sherds|
It is recorded that between 1938 and 1946 roadworks were present beneath the gate tower, and that some salt glazed stoneware (1730 - 1740) was recovered. A pipe trench dug in 1976 immediately to the west of the remains of the gate uncovered part of a massive flint structure with yellow mortar, which is believed to have been part of the gate (NHER 9).
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23546 07712|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
Between 1938 and 1946.
Beneath gate tower.
?Roadworks - no other information.
Salt glazed stoneware (1730 - 1740). 
1976. Junction of Ber Street, Queen's Road and City Road.
Pipe trench in pavement immediately to west of the preserved section of the gate. The trench cut through a massive, flint in yellow mortar, wall presumably part of the gate.
- TOWN DEFENCES (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GATE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1140 AD to 1808 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Unpublished document: NCM Staff. 1973-1989. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card - Norwich. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Norwich - Post Roman. |
|<S2>||Publication: Ninham, J. and Fitch, R. 1861. Views of Gates of Norwich. pp 17-19. pp 5-8. |
|9||Part of: Site of Ber Street Gate (Monument)|
Find out more...