|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of deserted medieval settlement, Manor Farm, Grimston|
This is the site of a deserted medieval settlement. The earthworks of medieval house platforms and fishponds were destroyed by ploughing in 1984. A medieval coin, a post medieval balance and medieval and post medieval pottery have been found during fieldwalking and metal detecting.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 71 21|
|Parish:||GRIMSTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Complex of earthworks in pasture field.
Identified by  as being both house platforms of deserted medieval village and fish ponds.
Trial holes dug, only silts encountered.
See report (S1) for further details and plans in file.
Threatened with destruction in 1984.
E. Rose (NAU) 13 January 1984.
Pasture converted to arable 1984.
Nothing seen in ploughsoil
H. Paterson (A&E) 5 February 1991
1991. Finds scatter (Site now ploughed up)
6 sherds unglazed Grimston (2 bowl rims, 1 bse, 3 body sherds)
Some sooting and limescale suggests domestic occupation refuse rather than potters' wasters
A. Rogerson (NLA) 15 March 1991
October/November 2003. Metal detecting.
1 medieval coin.
Post medieval metal objects including coin weight.
See lists in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 5 December 2003.
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- EARTHWORK (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FISHPOND (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE PLATFORM (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BALANCE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COIN WEIGHT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WEIGHT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Map: Finder's Map.. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Report: Pirie, J. 1984. Deserted Medieval Village Survival at Manor Farm, Grimston. |
Related records - none
Find out more...