|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of chantry chapel of St Mary the Virgin|
It is known that a chantry chapel dedicated to St Mary the Virgin was present during the later medieval period in the old parish of Walpole St Andrew. It was endowed in 1411, and had a guild hall in 1508. It was disused and sold off in 1545, and seized by the Crown in 1550. The exact location and the later history of this building are unknown.
Images - none
|Parish:||WALPOLE CROSS KEYS, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|WALPOLE, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Endowed 1411. In disuse and sold off 1545, seized by crown 1550. Had a guildhall in 1508. Later history and location unknown.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 December 1983.
Previously recorded under the old civil parish of Walpole St Andrew.
- CHAPEL (15th Century to 16th Century - 1411 AD? to 1545 AD)
- GUILDHALL (15th Century to 16th Century - 1411 AD? to 1545 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Woodgate, G.M.G. (Ely and Wisbech Advertiser). 23 March 193. [unknown]. |
Related records - none
Find out more...