|Type of record:||Building|
The Vale is a red brick double pile house, the east section of which is thought to date to the early 17th century. This two storey section is of flint with red brick added, as well as original trimmings. There is an original brick-framed door which is now a window, and a central stack with a polygonal chimney. The south façade was refaced in brick and a west pile and service wing added in the early to mid-19th century.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 978 291|
|Parish:||STIBBARD, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Red brick double pile house. East section early 17th century, two storeys, of flint with red brick added, as well as original trimmings. One ground floor window retains hood mould and dressed frame around later casement. Original brick framed door is now a window. On first floor, one original window narrowed down, another retains a central brick mullion, surround and hoodmould. Central stack with polygonal chimneys was originally end stack. Original stopped beams. South facade refaced in brick, west pile added and service wing added in early/mid 19th century.
Information from Listing 1983 grade II (S1).
Compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 1 December 1983.
In 1914, a Blackstone No. 11065 hot-bulb oil engine was installed in an outbuilding here to power machinery in the barn. It was dismantled and removed by NIAS in 1981 and put on display in the Gressenhall Rural Life Museum.
NIAS records (S2)
W. Arnold HES 26/01/11
- HOUSE (16th Century to 21st Century - 1600 AD? to 2100 AD)
- OIL ENGINE (World War One to Late 20th Century - 1914 AD to 1981 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Fiche: Exists. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1153148. |
|<S2>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
Related records - none
Find out more...