|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of medieval settlement and post medieval barn|
An excavation carried out in 1983 revealed that this is the site of a medieval settlement. Pottery dating from the Late Saxon to the post medieval periods was found, as well as other medieval finds. An 18th century barn now stands on the site.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7166 2271|
|Parish:||GRIMSTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
July 1983. Excavations under barn dated 1798.
Pottery etc. redeposited at site NHER 19621.
Trial excavation later by .
See detailed lists and location map in file.
Identified by A. Rogerson (NAU) October 1983.
- SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BUCKLE (Unknown date)
- NAIL (Unknown date)
- WINDOW GLASS (Unknown date)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Unpublished document: Drown, G.. 1983. A New Medieval Site at Grimston. 20 October. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
Related records - none
Find out more...