|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Iron Age and Roman settlement and multi-period finds|
A settlement may have developed on this site in the Iron Age, and a settlement was certainly in existence during the Roman period. Fieldwalking has recovered prehistoric flints, Iron Age pottery, Roman pottery and tile, medieval and post medieval pottery and post medieval coins.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 387 969|
|Parish:||HALES, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1983. Hales survey site 87.
Very thin cereal cover. Well weathered good conditions.
9 worked flints, 7 flakes/blades, 1 core, 1 scraper on thermal (J. Wymer (NAU) 1985).
16 flint gritted sherds. All probably Iron Age (A. Gregory (NAU) 1986).
332 Roman greyware.
1 neck of Roman storage jar.
6 oxidised Roman.
8 glazed red earthenware.
6 16th century glazed.
2 medieval unglazed?
1 early medieval (?) ginger jar rim.
5 small brick/tile fragments including one Roman ?
1 copper alloy disc Georgian half penny?
Identified by A. Rogerson (NAU) September 1983.
See (S1) in file.
(S2) records this as Site 87.
Most of the evidence for this settlement dates from the 2nd and 3rd centuries, although the presence of Iron Age pottery hints at earlier occupation.
See (S2) for more details.
S. Spooner (NLA), 25 January 2006.
- SETTLEMENT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BRICK (Undated)
- METAL WORKING DEBRIS (Undated)
- BLADE (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- CORE (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FLAKE (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- SCRAPER (TOOL) (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- DISC (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Fieldwork: Hales Survey. 87. Hales. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Hales Survey. Hales Survey fieldwalking notes. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Davison, A.. 1990. The Evolution of Settlement in Three Parishes in Southeast Norfolk.. East Anglian Archaeology. Vol 49, p 46. |
Related records - none
Find out more...