|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||High House Farmhouse, Wymondham Road|
This two storey building is of brick in an L-shaped plan with a service wing. Four six-light and two five-light ovolo mullioned windows with transoms and stuccoed reveals survive on the facade. There is also an ovolo-moulded off-centre doorway. The principal beams are ovolo-moulded with various stops, and the original collared roof survives. There are also several original decorated doors. The house is likely to date from the 16th century up to around 1640.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 1454 9938|
|Parish:||WRENINGHAM, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
High House Farmhouse.
1959. Listed Grade II*.
Farmhouse. Circa 1640. Colour-washed brick with corrugated tile roofs. L plan formed by slightly lower service wing to rear. Two storeys with attic. Three bays with four 6-light and two 5-light original ovolo-moulded mullion and transom windows with stuccoed reveals. Double ovolo-moulded off-centre doorway with 19th-century panelled door. Gabled metal porch with decorative ridge. Gable-end stacks and crow-stepped gables. Original fenestration to rear and service wing. Ovolo-moulded principal beams with barred, ogee and nicked stops. Winding stair to centre. Several original planked doors with fielded centre panels and each lateral panel decorated with an inset narrow vertical strip of triangular section. Original roof with collars.
Information from (S1). Noted in (S2).
P. Watkins (HES), 7 March 2017.
Ovolo mullions occur in the late 16th century in Norfolk, but could be as late as 1640 if the windows are wooden-cross in form. Listing description does not make this clear.
E. Rose (NAU), 29 September 1983.
Repair specifications (S3) in file.
October 2011. Planning Application.
Removal of cement render and modern non-breathable masonry paint from exterior walls. Removal of existing cement based stucco surorounding the window frames and replace with a traditional lime mortar based surround. Re stitch cracks in brickwork in both gable ends and in between window frames on ground and first floor level. Replace original canopy (now restored) over front door. Re paint all external doors and attic window frames in breathable wood paint.
Z. Dack (HES), 21 November 2011.
An examination of an outbuilding to the south of the farmhouse revealed that this unpreposessing structure is actually the remains of a timber-framed dwelling that had been converted to a barn in the 19th century. This building is of probable late 16th-century date and therefore most likely predates the farmhouse.
See NHER 61970 for further details.
P. Watkins (HES), 7 March 2017.
- HOUSE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD? to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1373111. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 790. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Document: 2002. Repair Specifications. |
|<S4>||Unpublished Document: 2011. Planning Application. |
Related records - none
Find out more...