Record Details

NHER Number:19393
Type of record:Monument
Name:World War Two gun emplacement

Summary

The earthworks of a World War Two gun emplacement and internal structure are visible on RAF aerial photographs from 1946 and 1950.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 07627 42432
Map Sheet:TG04SE
Parish:SALTHOUSE, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

30 March 1983. NAU aerial photography.
Positive cropmarks. Ring ditch in bracken/undergrowth.
Is this really the same as NHER 6210, the latter being in the wrong place?
E. Rose (NAU), 2 August 1983.

March 1994.
This is not a ring ditch, it is a circular earthwork with entrance to the west, very probably a gun position connected with the decoy airfield (NHER 13566).
E. Rose (NLA), 10 March 1994.

See record form in file by source [1], who adds:
Ruins of quite rare 1940/45 gun position (uncertain).
Survey No. D2-73.
D. Walker (NLA), July 1996.

October 2002. Norfolk NMP.
The earthworks of a World War Two gun emplacement and internal structure, visible on RAF aerial photographs from 1946 (S1) and 1950 (S2). The emplacement consists of a circular embankment, approximately 8m in diameter, with a funnel entrance to the west, measuring 3.5m long by 4m wide. Clearly visible on the 1950 RAF aerial photographs (S2) within the centre of this enclosure is a rectangular structure at TG 0762 4243, measuring 4m by 2m. It is possible that this structure relates to the housing of the gun, although it does not appear to be a holdfast or tripod as would be expected. It may be that this rectangular structure is a command post for the gun emplacements on the heath. There are around twenty gun emplacements on the heath, not all of these can have been in contemporary use. Another possibility is that they were being constructed for army training purposes, perhaps in association with the Weybourne Camp to the east (NHER 11335).
S. Massey (NMP), 15 April 2003.

May 2003. Field observations.
NGR obtained by GPS and corrected from original TF 0761 4242.
Very well preserved WWII gun position, circular with well-defined bank. In burnt gorse. To the west, a slight bank opposite its entrance.
D. Gurney (NLA), 18 June 2003.

Monument Types

  • COMMAND POST? (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • GUN EMPLACEMENT (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)
  • STRUCTURE (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1983. TG 0742G,J-P.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 106G/UK/1571 3166-7 07-JUN-1946 (NMR).
<S2>Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1950. RAF 541/440 4035-6 28-FEB-1950 (NMR).

Related records

19392Parent of: World War Two gun emplacement (Monument)
19394Parent of: World War Two gun emplacement (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service