Record Details

NHER Number:19389
Type of record:Monument
Name:World War Two gun emplacement

Summary

The earthworks of a World War Two gun emplacement, are visible on RAF aerial photographs from 1946 and 1950.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TG 0765 4219
Map Sheet:TG04SE
Parish:SALTHOUSE, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

30 March 1983. Positive cropmarks.
Ring ditch in bracken/undergrowth.
D. Edwards (NAU), 20 July 1983.

March 1994. Visited by H.Bamford for HBMC.
This is not a ring ditch, it is a circular earthwork with entrance to the west, very probably a gun position connected with the decoy airfield NHER 13566.
E. Rose (NLA), 10 March 1994.

See record form in file by source [1], who adds:
Ruins of quite rare 1940/45 gun position (uncertain).
Survey No. D2-69.
D.Walker (NLA), July 1996.

October 2002. Norfolk NMP.
Earthworks of World War Two gun emplacement, visible on RAF aerial photographs from 1946 (S1) and 1950 (S2), located at TG 0765 4218. The emplacement consists of an oval/oblong embankment, measuring approximately 9.5m by 7m, with an entrance to the northwest. No internal structure is visible in 1946. There are around twenty gun emplacements on the heath, not all of these can have been in contemporary use. Another possibility is that they were being constructed for army training purposes, perhaps in association with the Weybourne Camp to the east (NHER 11335).
S. Massey (NMP), 16 April 2003.

Monument Types

  • GUN EMPLACEMENT (World War Two - 1939 AD to 1945 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG 0742-J,K,L.
---Secondary File: Secondary file.
<S1>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1946. RAF 106G/UK/1571 3166-7 07-JUN-1946 (NMR).
<S2>Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1950. RAF 541/440 4034-5 28-FEB-1950 (NMR).

Related records

19390Related to: World War Two gun emplacement (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service