|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Prehistoric flints and multi period pottery sherds, north/northeast of Thorpe church ruins|
Fieldwalking here in 1983 and 1987 recovered various artefacts including a Neolithic flint scraper and struck flint flakes, sherds of Saxon Ipswich and Thetford Ware pottery and fragments of medieval coarse ware pottery. It has been suggested that the finds scatters here are indicative of three house sites.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 2312 9667|
|Parish:||SAXLINGHAM NETHERGATE, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
1983. Fieldwalking, generally over field (now all one field).
Struck flint flakes.
Three house sites reported:
Context 1 at location  (Site I). One rim Ipswich ware, four Thetford type rims, one flat base, one saggy base, four body sherds, one body sherd of medieval coarse ware and sixteen glazed medieval sherds.
Context 2 at location  (Site II). One Thetford type base, medieval coarse wares, Roman coarse wares.
Context 3 at location  (Site III). Three Thetford type jar rims, two body sherds, one flat base.
E. Rose (NAU) 10 February 1986.
October-November 1987. Fieldwalking.
Late Neolithic thin scraper and flake.
- HOUSE (Unknown date)
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- POT (Neolithic - 4000 BC to 2351 BC)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources - none
Related records - none
Find out more...