Record Details

NHER Number:1929
Type of record:Building
Name:All Saints' Church, Stanhoe


The majority of this large flint church dates to around 1300, from which time the southwest tower, west window and a number of other features all remain largely untouched. From the 15th century are the windows to the north. The south aisle has Decorated style windows, and from this period dates a very fine sedilia of the later 14th century, as well as a piscina with ogee arches. The church was restored in 1853 which provided new roofs, two new windows and the present internal fittings. Inside can be seen some important 19th century glass by the artist Charles Kempe, dated 1873 and 1879.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8020 3688
Map Sheet:TF83NW

Full description

(S1) in file states that present church is late 13th century begun by Sir Henry de Stanhope whose stone coffin lid, with that of his wife, remains inside. Stained glass by Kempe.
Compiled by E. Rose (NLA), 7 January 1999.

Church of around 1300, with south porch-tower. South aisle windows and very fine sedilia of later 14th century. Two 15th century windows to north. Restoration in 19th century, including in 1853, provided new roofs, two new windows and internal furnishings. Two medieval carved coffin slabs. Important 19th century glass by Kempe.
(S2) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 14 March 2006.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (13th Century to 21st Century - 1300 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW GLASS (19th Century to 21st Century - 1873 AD to 2050 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 669-670.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Website: Knott, S.. 2006. All Saints, Stanhoe. 24 November 2006.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1999. [Article on All Saints' Church, Stanhoe]. 5 January.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2006. Building Report.. Building Report.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service