Record Details

NHER Number:19285
Type of record:Building
Name:Shipdham Place, former rectory and moat (Glebe Farm)


This moated site is currently occupied by a 16th/17th century house although documents record the presence of an ancient barn and gate at this location. The house itself is a high quality structure with a timber frame and elaborate mouldings. Little original construction is visible after a number of internal and external alterations in 1830.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 9572 0725
Map Sheet:TF90NE

Full description

December 1951. Lsited, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Former rectory, now hotel and restaurant. Early C17 with important early C19 addition. Rendered timber frame, rendered brick and brick and flint. Pantile and slate roofs. Double pile: front pile early C19, rear pile C17. Tall late C19 block to side and rear. 2 storeys. Early block with 5 C18 windows at first floor with some leaded glass and metal casements. At ground floor 2 sash windows with glazing bars, one part-glazed C19 door and some C20 French windows. Early C19 overhanging eaves with plain brackets. Later shallow pitched roof and 2 axial stacks. Front-pile. 5 bays of sash windows with glazing bars. Jalousie shutters to ground floor windows. Central doorway with an open porch on a pair of columns and responding pilasters withentasis. Fluted capitals and entablature. Later lobby inserted within porch with a 2-leaf panelled door. Pair of rear wall stacks and overhanging eaves with plain brackets. Interior. Massive moulded spinal bridging joist in early block. C18 room with raised and fielded panelling, moulded cornice and dado rail. Early C19 pile has a central stairacase with square sectioned balusters, shaped tread ends and swept mahogany handrail. Reeded architrave and cornice mouldings.
Information from (S1).
H. Mellor (HES), 22 June 2017.

Moated site, half remaining. Documentary reference (S2) to ancient gate and barn in 18th century.
Present house is an early 17th century timber framed half-H-shaped building with elaborate mouldings and of high status, but little original work is visible.
East court infilled with second pile of around 1830, interior altered, new service block to southwest.
See full report (S3) and architects plans (S4) in file.
E. Rose (NLA) 20 March 1996.

November 1996.
Further work suggests building might be of late 16th century date; the wings are certainly additions of the first half of
the 17th century. Details in file.
E. Rose (NLA) 28 November 1996.

March 1998. Visited by H. Paterson (A&E).
The west arm of the moat seen as broad shallow depression to north, with pond to south. This has been altered by removing some soil and heaping it up at end to provide a stepped feature. North arm only survives to west, again as shallow depression. All under grass.
H. Paterson (A&E) 4 March 1998.

Monument Types

  • BARN (Unknown date)
  • GATE (Unknown date)
  • HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: HNF 6-21.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 647.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2001. Owner's vision has saved historic home. 9 March.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.
<S2>Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. c. 1740.
<S3>Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NLA). 1996. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S4>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service