Record Details

NHER Number:1928
Type of record:Monument
Name:Stanhoe Cross, Cross Lane


This is the site of a medieval flint rubble cross base. By 2002 a new stone cross had been errected on top of this base.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 8046 3703
Map Sheet:TF83NW

Full description

Remains of cross (Ordnance Survey antiquity).
Core of base alone remains. Steps shown in drawing in (S1) have now been built into cottages.
Information from Ordnance Survey card (S2).
E. Rose (NAU).

1984 listing (S3) states there was a second cross at other end of Cross Lane. Source of information?
E. Rose (NAU), 27 November 1984.

Scheduled 1998 - see in file.

New stone cross erected on top of base pre April 2002, as per Scheduled Monument Consent granted 2001.
E. Rose (NLA), 22 April 2002.

Monument Types

  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CROSS (Medieval to 21st Century - 1066 AD? to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Scheduled Monument
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy B. 1934. Norfolk Crosses. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXV Pt II pp 297-336. p 326; Pl 11.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Stanhole.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Scheduling Notification. Notification. DNF374.
---Designation: English Heritage. 1994? -2011?. English Heritage Digital Designation Record. Record. DNF374.
<S1>Serial: Dawson-Turner. 1815. Dawson-Turner's Additions to Blomefield's History.
<S2>Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 83 NW 6.
<S3>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077818.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service