|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Post medieval Toll House, Thornton's Bridge|
This single storey rendered house has a central projecting three-sided windowed bay opposite the bridge. It is marked on a map of 1826 as a Tollhouse, presumably to control the river crossing.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 5743 1394|
|Parish:||TILNEY CUM ISLINGTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
|TILNEY ST LAWRENCE, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Single storey rendered house with central projecting three-sided windowed bay opposite bridge. Window in facade to each side of projection. Strongly resembles a toll house.
Visit and compiled by E. Rose (NAU), 15 June 1983.
Yes (S1) marks as Thornton's Bridge and gate with 'TB' for toll bar.
E. Rose (NLA), November 2001.
- TOLL HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD? to 1900 AD?)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
Related records - none
Find out more...