|Type of record:||Find Spot|
Fieldwalking in 1983 and 1996 and the Fenland Survey in 1986 recovered scatters of prehistoric flints, together with Iron Age, Roman, Saxon and medieval pottery sherds. Metal-detecting in 2013 recovered medieval coins, a Middle/Late Saxon hooked tag and a Late Saxon plate brooch.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 67 12|
|Parish:||WORMEGAY, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
26 April 1983. Fenland Fieldwork.
Single flint tool (field not yet walked).
Identified by R. Silvester (NAU), May 1983.
14 October 1986. Further Fenland fieldwork (WGY AC) shows that this was one of a scatter of flints.
Also prehistoric sherds (Iron Age?).
Possibly Roman and Ipswich ware sherds and Late Saxon sherds.
Note also site NHER 17286 which lies within this scatter.
Conditions: weathered soil, covered by oilseed rape.
Finds in the NCM.
R. Silvester (NAU), 14 October 1986.
Some of the material found has been reidentified as medieval pottery.
For full details of wares, flint types etc see (S1).
One Late Saxon sherd found in northwest part of field by source and students.
Detail in file for NHER 3453.
E. Rose (NLA), 9 February 1999.
Before 14 October 2013. Metal-detecting. .
Finds recorded on the PAS database:
Middle/Late Saxon hooked tag.
Late Saxon plate brooch.
Information from PAS import.
Finds identified by HES not recorded on the PAS database:
2 medieval coins.
A. Beckham (HES), 25 November 2013.
- FINDSPOT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- LITHIC IMPLEMENT (Prehistoric - 500000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Late Prehistoric - 4000 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Iron Age - 800 BC to 42 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- HOOKED TAG (Middle Saxon to Medieval - 720 AD to 1100 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- PLATE BROOCH (Late Saxon - 900 AD to 1000 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Fieldwork: Fenland Survey. WGY AC. FENS. |
|---||Unpublished Document: Smallwood, J.. 1996. Park Farm, Wormegay. |
|<S1>||Archive: Fenland Folders. |
Related records - none
Find out more...