Record Details

NHER Number:19103
Type of record:Monument
Name:Medieval carved beam, Priory Farm

Summary

This building takes its name from the fact that the Priory of Lewes once owned property here. The present building has nothing of antiquity visible except for a triangular-section carved beam with foliate pattern and a single roll-moulding (style of Henry VIII's period).

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 4836 1367
Map Sheet:TF41SE
Parish:WEST WALTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Takes name from ownership of Priory of Lewes.
Present building has nothing of antiquity visible except a triangular-section carved beam with foliate pattern and single roll-moulding (style Henry VIII).
Slab with ring in kitchen has legend of underground passage.
Source in file. See (S1).
R. Silvester notes beam still in position 1983.
See also NHER 18976 and see file under 2210 as well as 19103.
E. Rose (NAU) 20 April 1983.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • BEAM (15th Century to 16th Century - 1500 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Photograph: TF 4813 D,E.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Publication: 1936. Sussex Notes and Queries. VI, 2, 82-84.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service