|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of post medieval smock mill|
This is the site of a post medieval smock mill shown on an Ordnance Survey map of 1883. The mill burnt down in 1898.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 4525 1785|
|Parish:||MARTHAM, GREAT YARMOUTH, NORFOLK|
Wind mill (corn) marked on (S1),
Building is no longer marked on current 6 inch map.
E. Rose (NAU) 8 March 1983.
A smock mill erected in about 1850; last heard of 'For Sale' on 1 April 1898.
Information from , May 1983.
Mill was in fact burnt down in 1898.
- SMOCK MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. First edition six inch map. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Rye, C. G. 1975. The End of the Corn Mills in the Fleggs. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVI Pt II pp 185-190. p 189. |
Related records - none
Find out more...