|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Stiffkey Old Hall, Church Street|
Standing in eight acres of gardens near the church (NHER 1887), this is a remarkable flint, brick and stone house, dating from 1576 onwards, with additions and alterations in the 17th century (the gatehouse is dated 1640) and 18th century, and restorations in the 20th and early 21st centuries. The hall was built on the site of earlier halls for Sir Nathaniel Bacon, with financial (and possibly design) help from his father Sir Nicholas. It was originally intended to be a four-sided building symmetrically placed around a courtyard, but some parts were never built and others were later demolished. Of the U-shaped structure that stood originally, the west or kitchen range and part of the hall range survive, having distinctive round towers at the northeast, northwest and southwest angles. After several changes of hands in the last hundred years or so, the house is currently being restored.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9743 4294|
|Parish:||STIFFKEY, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Around 1575, perhaps incorporating medieval predecessor. Gatehouse 1604.
Part demolished and part never built. Walled garden once containing cross from elsewhere.
See report (S1) and plans in file. Listed (S2).
E. Rose (NLA), 7 June 1982
History and plans (S3) prepared for owners by unknown person in file.
12 July 1994. NLA air photography.
House and garden visible.
H. Clare (NLA), 22 February 2001.
For detailed analysis, including that there was an earlier building on the site but the author does not believe anything survives of it, see reference (S4).
E. Rose (NLA), 4 February 2003.
Photographs (S5) of buttresses on north garden wall, to be demolished, in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 2 September 2003.
(S6) is a very useful reference which gives several other references as footnotes. Press cuttings (S7) to (S12) in file.
E. Rose (NLA),
Several proposed alterations, including the re-opening and glazing of an existing brick archway between the main roof and the NE tower, the insertion of an oak framed window and the reinstatement of the cellar.
See (S13) for more information
H. White (NLA) 12 December 2008
(S14) Country Life article from 1916 added to file. First page only available.
A. Yardy (HES), 16 August 2011.
July 2005. Planning Application.
An application was received to re-instate the ruined garden structure.
See (S15) for further details.
Z. Dack (HES), 26 July 2012.
- CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- GARDEN WALL (Post Medieval - 1576 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1576 AD to 2050 AD)
- GATEHOUSE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1640 AD to 2050 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF9742 A-J,K,L. |
|---||Article in serial: Bradfer-Lawrence, H. L. 1929. Stiffkey alias Stewkey. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXIII, pp 308-340. p 308. |
|---||Graphic material: Various. Various. Architectural plans.. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1994. TF 9742M - Q. |
|---||Unpublished document: Borough Council of King's Lynn & West Norfolk. 2013. Planning application.. 13/00320/F. |
|---||Photograph: Unknown. 2003. |
|---||Article in serial: Jones, H. 1879. Stiffkey: A Sketch. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol VIII pp 143-166. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|---||Archive: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Stiffkey. |
|<S1>||Unpublished document: Rose, E.. 1985. Building Report.. |
|<S2>||Scheduling record: English Heritage. List of Buildings of Historical and Architectural Interest. |
|<S3>||Unpublished document: 1996. A Potted History of Stiffkey Old Hall. |
|<S4>||Article in monograph: Smith, H.. 2002. Concept and Compromise.. East Anglia's History. Harper-Bill, C.. pp 159-187. |
|<S5>||Photograph: Various. |
|<S6>||Article in monograph: Smith, H.. 1994. The Gardens of Sir Nicholas and Sir Francis Bacon.. Religion, Culture and Society in early Modern Britain.. Fletcher, A. & Roberts, P.. pp 155-159. |
|<S7>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. Stiffkey Old Hall - picture.. 16 September. |
|<S8>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2000. Stiffkey Old Hall - sales particulars.. 23 June. |
|<S9>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2000. A piece of Norfolk history put on sale for £1.3m.. 26 June. |
|<S10>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2000. House in a million.. 11 October. |
|<S11>||Newspaper Article: Dereham and Fakenham Times. 2001. Stiffkey Old Hall - sold for more than £1 million by Strutt & parker.. 4 June. |
|<S12>||Newspaper Article: Dereham and Fakenham Times. 2003. Decision day for historic hall plans.. 22 May. |
|<S13>||Unpublished document: Cowper Griffith. 2008. Design and Access Statement, Stiffkey Old Hall. |
|<S14>||Article in serial: 1916. Stiffkey Old Hall, Norfolk. Country Life. |
Related records - none
Find out more...