Record Details

NHER Number:1872
Type of record:Monument
Name:Possible remains of Late Saxon boat or post-medieval watermill


Old oak timbers were found in a dyke on reclaimed land in about 1800. At first they were interpreted as part of a Viking ship, but could also be the remains of a watermill marked on a map of 1586.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 982 433
Map Sheet:TF94SE

Full description

About 1800: old timbers of oak found in a dyke on a meadow called St John's Pastures when it was reclaimed from the sea; called a viking ship by H. Williamson, (S1). R. R. Clarke (NCM) queried what evidence there was for this. Field in question is at above grid reference, located on P.L. K. Schwabe's map of 1600. It certainly was not reclaimed from the sea in 1800, but may have been marshy before then. Schwabe believes the wood may have been part of a sallow bed.
E. Rose (NAU), 25 August 1977.

Reference (S2) states that a map of 1586 shows 'Stewkey watermill' 'just where the river enters the marshes'. He does not reproduce this section of the map. Could the posts be the remains of the mill?
E. Rose (NAU), 7 November 1997.

Monument Types

  • WATERCRAFT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
  • WATERMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • BOAT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)

Protected Status


Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Miscellaneous. Stiffkey.
<S1>Publication: Williamson, H.. Story of a Norfolk Farm.
<S2>Publication: Hooton, J.. The Glaven Ports. p. 108.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2020 Norfolk Historic Environment Service