This is a vast, urban barn of a building, on the southern outskirts of the town. It is almost entirely Victorian, its medieval predecessor having been destroyed by fire in 1879 after being struck by lightning. It was rebuilt along its original 15th century lines, but the inside is mainly 19th century.
Said to have been of about 1200, rebuilt in 1450. Destroyed by fire 1879 and rebuilt.
For full details see report (S1) file.
E. Rose (NAU), 16 September 1980.
The churchyard includes the gravestone of Robert Baker of Wells, who was murdered in 1817 by James Johnson and Robert Hardiment.
See (S2) and (S3).
D. Gurney (NLA), 28 March 2006.
Diocesan Advisory Committee letter (S4) and press cuttings (S5) to (S15) in file. Listed (S16).
P. Aldridge (NLA), 20 September 2006.
April 2011. Site visit.
A carved decorative stone panel and possible priest's door surround possibly moved following the church fire in 1879. They have been inserted into a gazebo in a garden close to the church.
See (S17) and drawings in file.
S. Howard (HES), 2 November 2011.
|---||Aerial Photograph: TF9143 AK,AL. |
|---||Article in Serial: Plunkett, G. A. F. 1979. Norfolk Church Screens - 1865 Survey. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXVII Pt II pp 178-189. p 188. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1995. TF9143/AN - AV; TF9244/M. |
|---||Website: Knott, S.. 2005. http://www.norfolkchurches.co.uk/wellscofe/wellscofe.htm. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. Consistory court to decide on pews.. 10 July. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2012. Bid to buy new church floor. 21 March. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary file. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NAU). 1980. Site report. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Welland, M.R.. 2005. The Wells Murder of 1817.. Wells Local History Group Occasional Publication. Vol 1. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Document: A map of the murder scene (MC2210/1 938x8). |
|<S4>||Correspondence: Cattermole, P. (DAC). 2005. Letter to E. Rose. 14 November. |
|<S5>||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1982. Wells - skyview picture.. 17 August. |
|<S6>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1982. Wells parish church - floodlit again for the 25th year in succession.. 21 December. |
|<S7>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1983. Church repairs again.. 7 March. |
|<S8>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1988. Art offers faces finance barrier.. 2 April. |
|<S9>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. PCC plan to remove pews.. 10 April. |
|<S10>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1997. Wells parish church - excellent acoustics.. 14 October. |
|<S11>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. Church court to tackle pews row.. 29 May. |
|<S12>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. Court called to sit in judgement on pews.. 26 June. |
|<S13>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. Pews are saved for parish.. 3 August. |
|<S14>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. Judge bids to resolve conflict at church.. 11 November. |
|<S15>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2000. Search over for the Master of the Bounty.. 13 October. |
|<S16>||Scheduling Record: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|<S17>||Correspondence: Birdsall, N.. 2011. Decorative stone panel and possible preist's door from St Nicholas' Church, Wells-next-the-Sea, Norfolk.. 1 April. |