|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Post medieval windmill at Mill House|
The former tower mill here has four storeys and is topped with modern battlements. It dates to the mid 18th century and originally had three storeys, before one was removed. Then in 1815 two more storeys were added – giving it its present appearance. The mill now serves as a house, having been converted and extended.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 5026 1179|
|Parish:||WEST WALTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
28 October 1982. Visit by E. Rose (NAU).
Tower mill, red brick once tarred over. Four storeys - the lower two on a wide tapering base, the upper two in a vertical shaft; with modern battlements.
Converted and extended to form house.
E. Rose (NAU) 28 October 1982.
Listed Grade II 1985 as mid 18th century.
Originally three storeys reduced to two in 1815.
Then two more added with tie plates 'JD 1815' for John Dobbs.
E. Rose (NAU) 4 February 1986.
- MILL HOUSE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1750 AD to 2100 AD)
- WINDMILL (18th Century to 19th Century - 1750 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 750. |
Related records - none
Find out more...